Writing a website homepage is no easy task.
A well-planned homepage will welcome first-time visitors and help them get oriented very quickly.
At the same time, the homepage is often the point of entry for returning visitors, so the page also needs to highlight what is new and of interest to them.
The page needs to convey the product or service on offer… the primary benefit… and the logical next step.
And often it does all of that in less than 500 words. Sometimes way less.
Because of its importance, a homepage is a high-value project for web writers. Even though you may only write 300 words or so, you can charge anywhere between $500 and $1,500 for homepage copy.
For all these reasons, homepages make great Practice Assignments, too.
Wealthy Web Writer Practice Assignments
From time to time, Wealthy Web Writer offers members the option to participate in a Practice Assignment exercise.
These fictional assignments give you a chance to try your hand at a specific type of project using information similar to what you might receive from an actual client.
It also gives you the opportunity to get feedback on your work.
- Work on the Practice Assignment and share what you’ve done with your network of fellow writers, with other people you trust to give you honest and useful feedback.
- You can post the Practice Assignment to Online Copywriters (our Facebook Group) and solicit feedback there.
- Or you can submit your assignment to me for a possible live review on Wealthy Web Writer. For each Practice Assignment, I select submissions (randomly) to review in a live webinar event. (Submitting your assignment does not guarantee it will be selected, but by submitting it, you agree to the live review if it is selected.)
Getting feedback on your work is one of the fastest ways to improve your skills, so I hope you’ll join in this exercise.
Let’s Have a Look at the Brief
The Client: Acme Fencing
The Overview: This is a fencing company. They serve residential customers, primarily. They specialize in environmentally friendly options that are also aesthetically pleasing and that last a long time… at least 10 years.
The main goal of the homepage is to get users to request a free quote on their fencing needs.
The Audience: These are suburban homeowners. Typically, they’ve recently sold their first home and have bought a bigger house with a larger lot. They have a household income in the low six-figures, young children, and want something that looks good, but that is also eco-friendly.
Your assignment is to write the copy for the homepage. You have a 500-word cap. Send your submissions to me with Wealthy Web Writer Homepage Practice Assignment in the subject line.
Oh, and if you need a little inspiration, you can find it in these resources on Wealthy Web Writer:
- Writing Better Homepage Copy
- Ten Questions to Ask Before Writing a Website Homepage
- 17 Things You Must Understand When Writing for the Web
- 7 Attributes of a Great Homepage
The submission deadline for your assignment to be considered for review is May 26.