Member Update – Taking Care of Yourself

Writer on top of schedule, enjoying coffee

Taking care of yourself is important.

But a lot of times, I think there’s a tendency to look at self-care as the things we do for fun or relaxation.

A bubble bath with a glass of wine. A night out with friends. Curling up with a mug of tea and a good book.

And surely, these things are all self-care.

But there’s a deeper (and dare I say more important) layer to self-care… a layer that’s easy to overlook.

Getting a good night’s sleep is part of taking care of yourself. Even more importantly, weighing whether a good night’s sleep or staying up late watching a movie with your spouse is what you need more is also part of self-care.

Exercising on a regular basis is another one. And also, not being mean to yourself if you miss a workout.

Drinking more water… that’s self-care.

And of course, eating good, healthy food… but then, so is indulging in a bowl of your favorite ice cream.

When it comes to finances, not buying things you can’t afford is self-care. So is contributing to your savings account. So is donating to a cause you love.

When it comes to scheduling, saying no to jobs you don’t have time for or don’t want to do… that’s self-care. So is outsourcing tasks you don’t enjoy.

My point here is that in a time when self-care is much talked over, we tend to romanticize it. And indulgences do play an important role.

But the backbone of good self-care is pretty mundane. Make good choices for the health of your body and mind at least 80% of the time. And then recognize that making frivolous choices during the other 20% — eating that whole slice of cheesecake even though it’s huge or staying up late to watch a movie — play a role too.

So, I guess… just keep in mind that you’re always taking care of yourself (to one degree or another). All of your decisions reflect that. So find your balance. Be good to yourself most of the time. And when you’re not “good” to yourself, be kind to yourself about it. Do the boring things — sleeping, exercising, and eating well. You’ll be happier, healthier, and less stressed because of your efforts.

New on the Site

Are you a little worried about the potential for an economic downturn? I know this question has come up from a lot of writers lately. And it’s 100% understandable. The good news is, businesses need writers during good times and bad, so your writing business can survive and even thrive in a down economy. In his latest post, John Torre shares some things you can do to weather a recession, and come out the other side with a healthy, lucrative business.

Have you ever heard of rich pins? I hadn’t either! They’re a feature on Pinterest, and you can use them to drive more traffic to your site. Andrew Murray gives you a crash course in rich pins in his latest Reality Blog. Check it out right here.

Writing homepages can be a lucrative specialty. Every homepage is different, which means homepage projects are always interesting and challenging, which in my book makes them more fun. In this latest Roving Report, Susanna Perkins shares the top takeaways from our recent live review of homepage Practice Assignments. Give it a read and sharpen your homepage skills.

Around the Web

As freelancer writers, working remotely is a pretty natural part of our routine. But even so, I’m always on the lookout for tools and applications that can make workflow and online meetings go more smoothly. Here, you’ll find a whole bunch of tools (35) that could make your life easier.

Trying to figure out how to get more brand visibility on social media? These four suggestions are solid ways to bring more attention to your business.

If one of your clients needs a “we are reopening” email and they ask you to write it, read this first.

And this is just for a little fun

That’s all for now. Make it a great week!

 

Heather Robson

Heather Robson

Managing editor of Wealthy Web Writer, Heather has over ten years of content marketing and development experience.

Leave a Comment

Scroll to Top